Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy 53rd birthday, Madonna!

Photo by Crazy-Heart (via flickr)


Today marks the 53rd birthday of the one and only Queen of Pop: Madonna. She’s one of my musical goddesses (note to self: write a post about all my musical gods and goddesses), and I always like to remember the birthdays of those musicians and actors whom I admire. Usually, when one of my favorite musicians is having a birthday, I celebrate it by listening to his or her music. Today will be no exception.

For the occasion, I’ve prepared a list of my top 7 favorite songs and videos from Madge. Why top 7? Because I couldn’t choose only 5 wanted to do something different, of course!




Material Girl (1985)
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl

I must confess that I’ve always fantasized of reproducing this Marilyn Monroe-based video. Who wouldn’t want to wear that pink dress with the huge bow in the back and a bunch of jewels? Ok, maybe you don’t, but I do. The actor who plays Madonna’s romantic interest is Keith Carradine, who I dearly remember as FBI Special Agent Frank Lundy in Dexter.



Into the Groove (1985)
I’m tired of dancing here all by myself
Tonight I wanna dance with someone else

Thanks to this song, I fell in love with Madonna's music. Its video can be described as repetitive, but that same repetition makes me want to watch it for some reason I can’t explain. Maybe it’s the dancing dude with the A Flock of Seagulls hairdo at 0:15 and 2:26. It is filled with scenes from Desperately Seeking Susan (in which Madonna starred alongside Rosanna Arquette) that are repeated twice. A great song to dance and workout to, but it might be even better if I could replicate the moves from the dancing dude.



Crazy for you (1985)
I see you through the smokey air
Can't you feel the weight of my stare?

The video itself is not like her other ones. Perhaps it’s one of her most simple videos, yet the song is powerful. It’s the kind of song you want to replay when you have a crush or when you’re in love. It’s like an anthem for that. Also, it’s definitely one of Madge’s most powerful ballads. The movie scenes featured in it are from Vision Quest (with Matthew Modine, who will be seen in next year’s The Dark Knight Rises) which, like me, you most probably haven’t seen.



Express Yourself (1989)
Don't go for second best baby
Put your love to the test 


This marks Madonna’s first music video with director David Fincher (The Social Network), who also directed the next two videos on this list and the video for “Oh Father”  (no wonder why I liked so much the directing style in The Social Network). In this Metropolis inspired video, we see a more empowered Madonna than ever before. This video marks a new stage in her career and, in some way, it gave us a taste of Vogue.



Vogue (1990)
Greta Garbo, and Monroe
Dietrich and DiMaggio
Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean
On the cover of a magazine

"Vogue" was a much-needed dose of glamour into pop music and it added some iconic elements into pop culture. It introduced us to many things: voguing, the cone bra, and the phenomenon of us mortals trying to strike a pose with our hands while looking terribly ridiculous (You owned us, Madge!). David Fincher pleases us visually once again and elevates his already outstanding work from “Express Yourself”. The visuals in "Vogue" and the rap section, in which sixteen classic stars are named, evoke the long lost Hollywood glamour era. Of all of those stars, Lauren Bacall is the only one who's still alive. If you enjoy this video, you'll love this kid's rendition from 20 years ago.



Deeper and Deeper (1992)
Someone said that romance was dead
And I believed it instead of remembering
What my mama told me

Both the song and the video are inspired in the 70's disco era (which I admit I like). It’s one of those feel good songs that always makes me joyful and wanting to dance. The video starts with German actor Udo Kier screaming words in his native tongue, while looking like he’s about to slap your face if you eat the ice cream he’s been saving for a week. It also features a cameo by director Sofia Coppola.



Bad Girl (1993)
Bad girl drunk by six
Kissing someone else's lips
Smoked too many cigarettes today
I'm not happy when I act this way

Two words: Christopher Walken. Besides that, another amazing ballad from Madonna and more captivating visuals by David Fincher. 


After this musical ride, there’s only one thing left to say: Happy Birthday, Madonna, Esther, or whatever your name is nowadays! Long live the Queen! 


If you have a favorite song and/or video from our birthday girl, feel free to share it!



No comments:

Post a Comment