Monday, August 8, 2011

Say NO to movie spoilers!

Daquella manera via flickr


In recent days, websites and fans have posted spoilerish pictures from the set of The Dark Knight Rises, which is next year’s most awaited film. I’ve received links of those sites and I’ve seen some tweets and Facebook posts regarding them, yet I have refused to see any. Why? Because I hate spoilers.

In my opinion, spoilers ruin the entire movie experience.
When I go to see a movie, I like to be surprised and without expecting detailed things. In fact, I've enjoyed a lot films that I know little or nothing about. Consider this: Is it worth it to pay for a movie and watch it while knowing crucial scenes or secret cameos? After all, they were meant to surprise audiences, which brings me to the next point: the filmmaker’s intention.

When you cook something for yourself or someone else, you want it to have a delightful taste and texture. In other words, you have an intention. Film directors (the good ones) also have an intention with their creations. They want audiences to witness storylines and characters in a certain manner. Also, they want to surprise viewers in ways that will leave them breathless and begging for more. Even if a director can’t wait to show his or her work to others, he/she knows that nothing should be spoiled. A spoiler may not only turn off the audience’s desire to watch the final product, but it might ruin the carefully crafted intention that the filmmaker has. That intention is essential to the movie, since it’s part of the glue that holds it together.


emdot via flickr

The reason I’m writing this is because I can’t understand why some people are so obsessed with knowing every little detail of a film they're waiting for. Don’t get me wrong: I do like to see trailers, posters, and a couple of officially released production stills from a movie I’m anticipating. But seeing leaked pictures or videos of scenes that I’m supposed to see on the big (or small) screen is way too much. It’s unfair to those who value the filmmaking process and even the people who are involved in the project. Also, I write this because of an experience I had with The Dark Knight. When it was about to come out, the first seven minutes of the film were leaked in the form of a crappy cell phone camera recording. I was so anxious to watch the movie, that I took the wrong decision of watching that footage. When I went to the cinema to see TDK, my experience was somewhat ruined spoiled. Until this day, I regret it.

And believe me, I've been dying to watch The Dark Knight Rises from the moment I watched for the first time the final scene of The Dark Knight, but I know I must wait 11 more months for that. If I’ve been able to wait for 3 years, why not wait a bit more? In the end, it will all be worth it. So if you’re considering seeing, sharing, or even capturing spoilers from a movie, think twice. If you still want to do it, don’t spoil the experience for others by being careful with what you post and where you post it. Things like this make the world a better place (or a bit better, at least). So this is why I say NO to spoilers!

1 comment:

  1. those who say spoilers should be taken out the back and shot. execution style.

    ReplyDelete